Position Profile: Director of Contributor Relations
Location: Northwest Washington State
Background: Paths to Understanding sees a world where faith communities and cultures work together and educate each other in their differences and commonalities, and support each other. Through modeling how to learn, communicate and center our voices, we can connect with others different than ourselves.
Paths to understanding works to foster relationships of respect between wisdom communities. We support and train wisdom communities in multi-faith peacemaking in their neighborhoods for the common good of our children, our planet and ourselves. A small 501c3 non-profit corporation, PTU is governed by a volunteer board of directors. This position will report to Executive Director Terry Kyllo.
Position Summary: The Contributor Relations/Communications Director is responsible for supporting the mission by planning, implementing, and coordinating essential development and donor outreach activities. This role will generate donated revenue from contributors and community. This position reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the entire team including the staff and board member.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Further the mission of PTU through respectful, culturally sensitive conversation and communication.
- Identify major gift prospects, solicit for contributions and determine follow-up strategies including stewardship.
- Identify grant opportunities and lead the effort to complete, track and report on grants.
- Plan and implement an annual fundraising calendar of activities to increase donated revenue.
- Motivate and engage staff and volunteers, including board members, to cultivate and participate in fundraising for PTU.
- Maintain current, detailed records of all fundraising activities in the contributor relations software we have developed.
- Work independently and be self-motivated in initiating contacts with potential contributors
- Coordinate, create and send weekly email newsletter, bi-monthly printed newsletters and manage/oversee emailing and mailing lists.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Willing to do the personal work of cross-cultural equity and justice
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Communicate positively with people at different levels of organizations
- Thrives in a fast paced, team environment
- Creative, active, engaging personality
- Strong time management, attention to detail and prioritization a must
- Demonstrate respect and appreciation for diversity, inclusion, equity, access and social justice
Qualifications and Experience: The ideal candidate will be committed to the values, ideals, and vision of the Paths to Understanding. The following experience and qualifications are preferred:
Bachelor’s or AA Degree preferred or equal work experience
- Bachelor’s or AA Degree preferred or equal work experience
- Proven contributor relations experience, ideally in a nonprofit organization
- Comfort in working with a diverse range of individuals, groups, and audiences across a range of cultures, religions and ethnicities
- Skill and comfort in public speaking
- Strong organizational skills and capacity to work in a collaborative team environment
- Familiar with Microsoft Teams and MS Office, social media, WordPress, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- Bi-lingual capacity is a plus
Compensation: Compensation is $60,000 for this 40 hour-per-week position. This is a salary position. We offer a small home office allowance and mileage at IRS rates. The employee and PTU will negotiate as the allocation of the compensation offered to meet the needs of the employee. The hours, compensation and benefits for the position will be re-evaluated after the first year. Compensation is outlined in the position acceptance form.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include the words “Application for Director of Contributor Relations” in the Subject line. You can also go here.
The cover letter should include responses to these questions:
1. Why do you want to work for Paths to Understanding?
2. Describe how your multicultural experiences would be an asset for Paths to Understanding?
- Valid driver’s license, safe driving record, current vehicle insurance, and ability to use personal vehicle for PTU’s business.
- Must be able to pass criminal background and credit checks.
Paths to Understanding does not have a dedicated office; therefore, this position requires working out of one’s home. Work is performed typically in an office environment and a variety of settings among diverse stakeholders and audiences. A considerable amount of time will be spent in meetings, at a computer screen for extended periods, and at public events. Frequent use of phones and e-mail will be required to communicate with staff.
Paths to Understanding is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes hiring decisions without regard for race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation.